Saturday, June 30, 2012

MEMORIES OF ANNE ZIEGLER AND WEBSTER BOOTH



BRIAN WILLEY WRITES: 

 During the 1950s I was a radio sound engineer for the BBC and frequently had the pleasure of working with Anne Ziegler  and Webster Booth. The weekly programmes were recorded in a temporary studio the BBC were using - the Criterion Ballroom. Its entrance was on the left-hand side of Lower Regent Street just down from Piccadilly Circus, London. On those occasions they were accompanied by the BBC Revue Orchestra conducted by Frank Cantell. The recording sessions were about three hours long and always a great delight. They were a most charming couple and totally professional in their work.

Years later I became a producer and responsible for the Public Concert engagements of the BBC Concert Orchestra. I can't recall the exact date, but somewhere around 1980, I had arranged a concert in the Astra Cinema in Llandudno, North Wales and, much to my surprise, discovered that Anne Ziegler lived nearby. Well I just had to invite her to appear in the show and she was delighted to have been remembered. (However could I forget!)

On the night of the transmission she walked on to the stage looking as elegant and beautiful as ever and sang Ivor Novello's 'We'll Gather Lilacs' . What memories that brought back to the audience - and me. I can remember having quite moist eyes during the performance - and what an ovation she got. There were screams of "Encore" for more, but that was more than enough for her. She took many bows and left the stage to a continuing tumult of cheers and applause. What a night that was. She lived to the great age of 93 - dying in October 2003 - and I sincerely hope that her final years were comfortable.

 Brian Willey

TREVOR LUCKCUCK FROM SOLIHULL WRITES: 

Webster Booth was my mother's cousin, and as a result I met him many times. The family called him by his first name, Leslie. My grandfather and Leslie's father were brothers. Leslie's father was called Edwin. My mother’s maiden name was Booth, while Leslie's mother's maiden name was Webster. My mother and he appeared together at concerts in Birmingham and the Midlands before he joined D'Oyly Carte as a professional. Leslie’s father owned a ladies’ hairdressers in Soho Road, Handsworth. His son - Leslie's brother - was also in the business, and the family lived on the premises. Leslie's father died just after the interval at their concert in Birmingham Town Hall in October 1949. They were not told of his death until after the concert had finished. He and Anne Ziegler published Duet in 1951 and gave me the first signed copy of it.

Anne Ziegler hailed from Liverpool and was born Irene Eastwood. The last time I saw Leslie was at Solihull Library Theatre in the early 1980s when he and Anne gave a talk about their career.

 Trevor Luckcuck.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment